The Melita is situated in two historical buildings built around 1825. The hotel has been owned and managed by members of the same family since 1972. It lies in a quiet street moments from all the hustle and bustle of Victoria Station in a mainly residential quarter called Pimlico.
All the houses in the area were designed and built by Thomas Cubitt, (1788 – 1855), an architect of some notoriety in his time. He had a long line of rich and famous clients and a stream of high profile commissions. However, like all good architects at the time Cubitt needed a good patron. His patron was Viscount Belgrave aka Richard Grosvenor (the richest man in the land at the time), who later became the 2nd Marquess of Westminster. Cubitt was subsequently commissioned in 1824 to build the new districts of Pimlico and Belgravia.
Belgravia and Pimlico were intended to provide fashionable housing for the upper classes. A few of The Melita’s neighbours over the years have included former Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill, Hollywood superstar Laurence Olivier, and former President of the French Republic Charles de Gaulle.
Cubitt was helped by the work of the Grosvenor Estate’s architect Thomas Cundy senior (1765-1825). Constructing the area of Pimlico was one of the last pieces of work undertaken by Cubitt before he withdrew from the family business in 1827. Pimlico’s historic buildings remain highly sought after even to this day.
Founded nearly half a century ago, The Melita continues to surprise and delight even their most regular guests.